Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Letter of Introduction


Subject: Letter of Introduction
Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Keith Chua, and I am writing this letter of introduction as a student in your effective communication class. I previously graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Aerospace Engineering and decided to broaden my knowledge in this field by taking up the mechanical engineering programme offered by the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Since I was a child, I’ve been obsessed with the idea of Lego building blocks and how they piece together to form amazing sculptures. This has cultivated my interest in engineering, in seeing how different mechanisms work, how different small pieces come together to form one big assembly.

My weakness in communication, and as a person in general, is the lack of confidence in myself and the work that I am presenting to a live audience, regardless of the size. The lingering fear of rejection and making mistakes would land me in a blank state of mind, and I would end up delivering only a percentage of the content that I have prepared.

As far as strengths go, mine is always having an open mind when conversing with people and making them feel comfortable around me. I always welcome different opinions on a certain subject, because then, I’d not only be challenging my stand in the matter, but I’m also getting a new perspective, increasing my understanding of the topic. Because of this trait, I can work well in group settings.

My goal for this module is to build confidence in myself, especially during presentations, and improve on my technical writing skills. I’m excited to see what I can take away in these 13 weeks.

Best regards,
Chua Huai Shen Keith
MEC1281 Group 1


Commented on Jarl's and Benjamin's letter.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Keith! Thanks for sharing more about yourself. I like how you explain the reason behind your choice of studying in mechanical engineering in university. In addition, stating the fact that you welcome different opinions on a certain subject shows that you are an open-minded and very pleasant person to work with. Look forward to working with you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Keith,

    Great to understand more about you.

    Will be looking forward to working with you more in this module.

    I believe that if the professors use Lego to explain some of the key concept, it could be beneficial for our learning.

    Yours sincerely,
    Chua Jarl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Keith,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and well-developed letter. You address all the touchpoints of the assignment and you provide specific detail. I really appreciate learning about how your interest in engineering developed from early experiences with a Lego set. (Have you been to Legoland?) To take this letter a notch up in level, you might thread your engineering goals and / or experience with either your your strengths and weaknesses in communication or your career goals in general.

    You do a fine job of discussing your strength and weakness in communication and then tie the limit in your confidence closely to what you intend to learn in the module. I appreciate that interconnection as ell as the fluency of this letter.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

The effective communication module has been extremely beneficial in improving not just my communication and presentation skills, but my te...